• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

smegmaholic

I'm very interested in getting a 4-string Bongo but I love to slap and I was wondering if the dual humbuckers make it more difficult to do or restrict the sound at all.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

TSanders

Im not much of a slapper, but I have heard that the dual humbucker model is a bit cramped for slappers. You may consider the single humbucker model or the Bongo with the single pickup in the neck position.

smegmaholic

Yeah, I read that but it didn't really say what it was like slapping on it, just that the HH and HS wouldn't be any different.

midopa

Well, I tried out a Bongo a while ago myself. I too like slapping on the bass. I found it difficult to get my fingers under the strings to pop 'em. You'd have to adjust your technique a bit, but I hear it's a quick transition.

oddjob

There are different ways around it if you are "set in your ways" - the pickups are hot enough that they can be lowered a ways and still achieve a good sound (I luv 18 volt electronics). But really it is more in the angle of attack. I don't slap a lot, and when I do it is usually on the single H Bongo (Kermit), but on the HH I found that altering my angle of attack cured most of the problems. If it worries you, get the HP (single H and piezo) great sound and a VERY slapable bass. Even better, be like Bovine and collect them all!!!!

TheAntMan

I tried out a 4HH Bongo and slapped on it without a problem. In fact it sounded so good that I got wrapped up in the tone and did not even realize that there was a space problem :) It was very comfortable to play, both fingerstyle and slap. My 4HH is on order.

phatduckk

I agree with the guys above ...

I played a Bongo for the first time today at GC and slapped it all over the place. popping took some getting used to ....

I figure if i could get kinda used to it within 10 minutes, then i can definately get super comfortable within a few days or so.

midopa

I recall someone a while ago telling me if I was having a hard time slapping on the Bongo, I wasn't slapping right. When I say "slap", I mean both slap and pop. So what I've been saying is that popping is a bit difficult, because of the pickup position.

Like I said, I've played the Bongo quite a while ago and couldn't spend enough time for me to adjust my popping technique to get comfortable with it. Has anyone adjusted their popping technique on the Bongo? The space 'tween the neck pickup and the neck is awfully small.

huber

it'll make you a better slapper, you won't be able to use as much of the finger, and it might actually make you faster
:D

spectorbassguy

midopa said:
I recall someone a while ago telling me if I was having a hard time slapping on the Bongo, I wasn't slapping right. When I say "slap", I mean both slap and pop. So what I've been saying is that popping is a bit difficult, because of the pickup position.

Like I said, I've played the Bongo quite a while ago and couldn't spend enough time for me to adjust my popping technique to get comfortable with it. Has anyone adjusted their popping technique on the Bongo? The space 'tween the neck pickup and the neck is awfully small.

I lowered both pickups considerably on my H/SC 5 and it is much easier to pop. Still plenty of full-tilt Bongo signal!
:D

BongoBilly

I didn't really have a problem adjusting to the HH, but I do keep hitting the volume knob.
I attribute it to my sloppy style. I'll get used to it.

huber

Just stay precise and don't move your hand around too much, pretty soon you'll get in a comfort zone where you can easily slap between the neck and the pickup
:)

Soulfinger

" recall someone a while ago telling me if I was having a hard time slapping on the Bongo, I wasn't slapping right. "

That sounds like the kind of jack-hole comment I'd make! Really, popping shouldn't be a problem with an HH bongo. It didn't even require any adjustment from me. I just did it and it worked.

When playing slap (and pop), you don't really need to pound the thing that hard. The lighter you play, the faster you can go, and it's less wear-and-tear on your hands, strings, bass, intonation, speakers, gerbils, etc.

Top Bottom