• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

gz4p9c

I just purchaced my first Stingray-5. I love the sound and look of the guitar. I have always used a Maple neck and continued with this bass. I was told that one of the drawbacks on the Stingray is that the fretboard is unfinished and after a while it will become stained from body oil and dirt. Is there any way to prevent this ???

Mike Pierce

Ernie Ball Customer Service
Neck Maintenance

A very occasional use of gun stock oil will help to keep the neck maintained. We use Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil but any high quality gun stock oil will work.

High grade lemon oil is what should be used to clean the neck. If it gets dirty enough, you can use Murphy's oil soap, diluted 3:1. Sanding the neck is the only way to remove dirt that is deep in the wood, but that is not recommended. The easiest way to keep the neck clean is to wash your hands before you play.

Thanks.

Mike

gz4p9c

Thanks Mike - How often is occasional use of the oil and is it recommended to use it on a brand new bass ?

Mike Pierce

Ernie Ball Customer Service
Gun Stock Oil, etc.

The need to use gun stock oil can really vary. It depends on the chemical nature of the player. On average, one yearly application would be our recommendation on how often to use it. The more acidic your personal body chemistry is, the more often it should be used.

Also, it has come to my attention that the use of the gun stock and lemon oils can be hazardous. If thrown away improperly, the material used to apply the oil (paper towel, cloth, etc) can spontaneously combust. We recommend using a wash cloth or paper towel to apply the oil. Then soak the wash cloth or towel in water before discarding in an industrial dumpster - the large metal ones found in alleys.

We also recommend not using the lemon oil too often to clean the neck. While it is mild, it may become damaging after repeated use. When the neck isn't extremely dirty, try using just a damp cloth to clean it.

Mike

bassmaniac

If you decide to apply the gunstock oil, and you've never used it before, I advise you to practice on a scrap piece of wood first before applying it to the neck of you bass. Put a very small amout on a lint free cloth, and wipe once in the direction of the grain, and go as far as it can before not much comes off the cloth. Then add another small amount and do the next section. If you rub the oil back and forth with the cloth and / or use too much at once, it will dry with an uneven with a rough texture. If applied well, the neck won't feel any different and it will be protected from dirt until your hand wears it off and you have to reapply it. It's worth doing if done right.:D

Top Bottom