• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

heath_the_great

alrighty, so next year ive decided to take the plunge and finally fork out for a stingray :D ....but what concerns me is that i love ash bodies, but reading catalogs with brands like fender and musicman, they say alder/ash depending on finish....and although alder wouldnt phase me much, ash is my first choice, so exaclty which stingray finishes are ash bodies? or is it a luck of the draw
130-90-10-01.jpg
150-90-10-01.jpg

thats what i want, bernard edwards style :D and it matches my jazz

bdgotoh

I think it's always ash for transparent finishes, so there's a good number to choose from. Those two above are definitely ash.

Beth

Hi Heath,

While it does state that the body of the bass is "selected hardwoods" meaning it could be ash and it could be alder, I would say at least 95% of the body wood on StingRays is ash. Let your dealer know you want it specified on the order and I'll make sure it gets marked as one "ash only".

-Beth

dlloyd

heath_the_great said:
...and although alder wouldnt phase me much, ash is my first choice, so exaclty which stingray finishes are ash bodies? or is it a luck of the draw

Just to add to the confusion, if you're feeling flush, there is an option of "premium ash"

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9559

Not quite sure what you get for your money. It's probably something like this...

17_1_b.JPG

bassmonkeee

dlloyd said:
Not quite sure what you get for your money.

Maybe someone in SLO will take pictures of the first premium ash basses to show us so we can get an idea of what the extra $$$ will get you.

hint hint hint...

bovinehost

Administrator
Someone from SLO (Dargin? BP?) said, "I wish someone would just order a "premium ash" so we can build one."

Come on, Heath, it's only a 450 retail upcharge and we all want to see one.

Dargin

Ernie Ball Customer Service
Wasn't me Jack, but I don't think we have even one on order, but I will try and post pics of a flame body that is in set up.

Golem

Dargin said:
Wasn't me Jack, but I don't think we have even one on order, but I will try and post pics of a flame body that is in set up.
Flamed ash?

BassPooch

Which is Lighter?

Which wood is lighter, ash or adler? MusicMan basses are somewhat heavy and I'm trying ro saved my shoulder from the pull of gravity. :D

Golem

BassPooch said:
Which wood is lighter, ash or adler? MusicMan basses are somewhat heavy and I'm trying ro saved my shoulder from the pull of gravity. :D
AFAIK, swamp ash is lighter than most alders, but northern ash is heavier. With wood, there's always weird exceptions, but I think that's the general order of weightiness.

Top Bottom