• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

adouglas

On the tail end of the bell curve in Connecticut
BP's post is the kind of thing that creates fanatic loyalty.

That's it... the EBMM Fedayeen, waging jihad against the forces of American corporate indifference! EBMM akbar!

(heh heh...I just put at least three terms in this post that are going to grab the attention of the government....don't be surprised if you start getting website hits from the Dept. of Homeland Security!)

:D :D :D

Big Poppa

HMZ
You actually played one bass that was missing two knobs and was dirty and bad action at Guitar Center and then proceeded to slam our quality on not just our forum but Talk bass?....Wow Don't you think that that is a little unfair? Was it a slow news day at your house? I actually take that as a cheap shot....There are 135 people who get up in the morning and try really hard to make great instruments at our factory, They care about quality and are proud just like I am of the product we produce.

bovinehost

Administrator
There are 135 people who get up in the morning and try really hard to make great instruments at our factory, They care about quality and are proud just like I am of the product we produce.

And there are about a million of us, boss, who understand that, who know that and who appreciate that.

And then there are the few who don't understand that once the instrument leaves SLO, you don't actually personally follow it around, making sure it doesn't have fingerprints on it.

Jack

Slamzilla

I can speak for the quality of MM basses as I have purchased three of them directly off the shelves of Guitar center. In fact, I played a brand new Stingray 4HH yesterday at GC that was the cats meow. Such a beauty and the action was unbelievable. I think the isolated incedent at your store was no reason to slam thier quality. Try another you will not be disappointed. Just my 2 cents.
Zilla:D

AnthonyD

No problems here...

For the record, both of my EBMM basses were custom ordered from a local dealer. Both built to my spec.

When they arrived, my dealer gave them a once over and shipped them right back out to me same day - about as close as "direct from the factory" as one can expect.

They leave the factory as "players" - expertly finished and set-up. Having seen the build process first hand, I personally understand the care that goes into these instruments.

The issue described at the opening of this thread IS NOT representative of my experience with EBMM instruments.

Truth be told, MM instruments are the only wood - necked instruments I've ever owned that didn't develop fret sprout. I've puchased several really expensive axes over the years, and they all did this at one point or another.

Every experienced and knowledgeable player knows the story at GC. In the dozens of GC locations I've been to, There's always several poorly maintained instruments. This is simply a reality of a high-volume retail sales model. You can choose to participate in it, or not.

I don't understand the rationale for posting this in two bass discussion boards - legitimate, sincere question or cry for attention?

maddog

hmz said:
What’s going on with Musicman basses?
I have owned a couple of Ernie Ball Musicman basses over the tears I had a 1999 sterling I bought new at GC and loved it, it was my main bass for a few years. I also had a Stingray five string that sounded amazing but I could never get comfortable on a fiver. I always considered EBMM basses to be of the best quality the always look sound and feel great, but Yesterday I was at GC because I was interested in maybe getting a stingray. I was looking for one with a maple fret board and the GC near me had one. The bass was a natural finish, maple fret with a tort pick guard. I picked it up and started to play and the sharp fret ends stuck and scratched my hand. I could not believe this from a bass that was over $1200.00. This seems not too uncommon on cheap $200.00 basses but on a EBMM Stingray it’s unbelievable. The bass also was in need of a setup the strings were like ½ off the fret board and it was missing 2 tone knobs. How can GC and EB let an instrument like this hang in the store?
:confused:

Way uncool way to to handle a problem.

Did you try any other MM's while you were there?

Did you notify the sales staff?

bovinehost

Administrator
I don't understand the rationale for posting this in two bass discussion boards - legitimate, sincere question or cry for attention?

Who knows? But this is the internet, and guarantees that anyone at all with anything at all to say, right or wrong or indifferent, will somehow find an audience.

Mobay45

What I did notice when I visited the TB forum is that the members there had pretty much the same reaction to the post.

1. Don't bash a manufacturer over one bass that you found to have problems that may or may not be a result of the manufaturer.

2. GC might no be the best place to judge the quality of a particular bass.

3. EBMM's quality is among the best out there.

adz

Originally by bovinehost
Who knows? But this is the internet, and guarantees that anyone at all with anything at all to say, right or wrong or indifferent, will somehow find an audience.

Or in this case get there @ss kicked simultaneously in two different places at the one time (I didn't think that was possible until now), by a lot of loyal, happy EBMM players.

I really love my EBMM basses, so I was kind of offended when I saw this on here and TB, but now I kind of feel a little bit sorry for the guy (only a very little bit), he made a couple of broad sweeping statements without thinking and has now been hammered. But the statements were dumb enough to deserve it.

Mobay45

Rod Trussbroken said:
Me thinks it was a bait.

I still think he was playing an OLP that he thought was a Stingray.

That would explain the tort pickguard. I haven't seen a stock natural Stingray from the factory with a tort guard and that's what the OLP comes with standard.

Last edited:

Musicman Nut

hmz said:
What’s going on with Musicman basses?
I have owned a couple of Ernie Ball Musicman basses over the tears I had a 1999 sterling I bought new at GC and loved it, it was my main bass for a few years. I also had a Stingray five string that sounded amazing but I could never get comfortable on a fiver. I always considered EBMM basses to be of the best quality the always look sound and feel great, but Yesterday I was at GC because I was interested in maybe getting a stingray. I was looking for one with a maple fret board and the GC near me had one. The bass was a natural finish, maple fret with a tort pick guard. I picked it up and started to play and the sharp fret ends stuck and scratched my hand. I could not believe this from a bass that was over $1200.00. This seems not too uncommon on cheap $200.00 basses but on a EBMM Stingray it’s unbelievable. The bass also was in need of a setup the strings were like ½ off the fret board and it was missing 2 tone knobs. How can GC and EB let an instrument like this hang in the store?
:confused:

Well I Own 86 of these basses and the quality is amazing but let me tell you what happens. When these basses leave the factory they are ready to play off the shelf, but depending on where the bass is sent this is what Happens

Different tempatures do different things to wood, What's going on with the bass that you played is the wood on the neck shrunk which made the frets hang over a 1000 of an inch which caused that whole feeling.

Very simple and very cheap to fix, it'll cost you more to send it back to EB then to a Local repair place, In fact i do my own in house it's that easy.

As far as Missing knob's thats very easy, Guitar Center has always been the place for used parts for thieves, you need a Knob head to Center, Sad but so true, Hope this helps. Dave Jeffrey

Last edited:

Rod Trussbroken

Dave, where have you been Bro :D

Larry....

TOWN8019CustomImage161655.jpg

Mobay45

Rod Trussbroken said:
Dave, where have you been Bro :D

Larry....

TOWN8019CustomImage161655.jpg

I was just saying that it seems like all of the natural stingrays from EBMM that I've seen that were made for shelf stock were produced with black pickguards. I can't imagine GC ordering them with the tort guards. That would be an upcharge and they usually have pretty plain basses for their shelf stock. Especially one with a maple fret board.

Last edited:

Musicman Nut

Big Poppa said:
HMZ
You actually played one bass that was missing two knobs and was dirty and bad action at Guitar Center and then proceeded to slam our quality on not just our forum but Talk bass?....Wow Don't you think that that is a little unfair? Was it a slow news day at your house? I actually take that as a cheap shot....There are 135 people who get up in the morning and try really hard to make great instruments at our factory, They care about quality and are proud just like I am of the product we produce.

Like I said in another post, I Have 86 of the ERNIE BALL MUSIC MAN STINGRAYS,STERLINGS AND BONGOS, and yes I have bought 13 from Center in the last year, and never had 1 issue,

These basses are Made Incredibly well so to go in and try one bass that isn't right, Come on man lets be real here

Anyway this is silly to be wasting time talking about something this crazy.
So Mark Bass Amp's Kick Ass I was Very Impressed at Namm, Try one.
DJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom