• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jeffsixx

hello my name is jeff and im new to the board. my pickup on my sr4 keeps raising it self up on the side facing the neck i tighten the screw back into place but when i play it will slowly raise it sel back up, i use the pickup as a thumbrest. any advice on how to fix this problem without installing a thumbrest.

Doaf

jeffsixx said:
hello my name is jeff and im new to the board. my pickup on my sr4 keeps raising it self up on the side facing the neck i tighten the screw back into place but when i play it will slowly raise it sel back up, i use the pickup as a thumbrest. any advice on how to fix this problem without installing a thumbrest.

Is your problem solved already? If so, what have you done? I think I have the same problem with my sterling now. The pickup is raising from the edge where is only one screw.

Doaf

Franky said:
ever considered carrying a screwdriver in you bass case? for 2 bucks you can "fix" the problem

It would be nice to fix the problem, not just "fix" the problem. I´ll have to think something.

oldbluebassman

Use a drop of Loctite Lock 'N' Seal on the thread. It'll stop it coming undone.

I use it it on my Schaller straplocks to stop the nut working loose and dropping off so causing the bass to plummet to the floor. "It don't so much fly as plummet"

jongitarz

That won't work because the pickup screw is a machine screw.The toothpick thing works with wood screws. Loctite small screw threadlocker #22231 is the shiznit
;)

skabassist13

does a machine screw, screw into wood or is there some sort of sleeve? if theres no sleeve i would have to differ because im pretty sure the screws seymour duncan supplies with its pickups and the screws eb/mm uses are somewhat similar and i did the toothpick trick and it worked wonderfully. the screws became very tight. but i like that because if theyre that tight they wont come out.

Mobay45

skabassist13 said:
does a machine screw, screw into wood or is there some sort of sleeve? if theres no sleeve i would have to differ because im pretty sure the screws seymour duncan supplies with its pickups and the screws eb/mm uses are somewhat similar and i did the toothpick trick and it worked wonderfully. the screws became very tight. but i like that because if theyre that tight they wont come out.

:eek: I can't believe you doubt the great and powerful Oz (aka: Jon)! :eek:

I just changed out a pickup last week and as Jon stated the screws are machine screws. LocTite should do the trick.

jeffsixx

yeah i fixed the problem a while ago and just never posted anymore on it. i used what jon, recommended and i havent had a problem since.

bovinehost

Administrator
Now, you see?

Just do what Jon says and everything will be A-OK.

Except for that bit with the frozen scampi. I'm not doing that for ANY man.

Doaf

jongitarz said:
That won't work because the pickup screw is a machine screw.The toothpick thing works with wood screws. Loctite small screw threadlocker #22231 is the shiznit
;)

Thanks, my Sterling is now perfect.

SteveB

skabassist13 said:
i wasnt doubting jon, just stating an opinion of what i thought. btw im not exactly sure what a machine screw is. :eek:

A machine screw is generally not pointy on the tip, it's flat, as if someone sawed the tip of it off with a hacksaw. The thread is usually pretty fine (i.e. the threads are spaced close together).

A wood screw has a point (thus enabling it to 'tap' into the wood), and the threads look kind of like a corkscrew, and are generally not as closely spaced as the threads on a machine screw.

Then there are masonary screws, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure someone more mechanically inclined could explain better, but this should suffice.

JB1

They look like this:-

URL=http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/46/4678_l.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.diy-hardware-store.co.uk/screwfix-14678.php&h=200&w=200&sz=8&tbnid=alFrvk5iyskJ:&tbnh=99&tbnw=99&start=14&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmachine%2Bscrew%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG]Machine Screw[/URL]

Wood Screw

Top Bottom