• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mike jungle

each time i play, the screw closest to the bridge on the pickup keeps on unscrewing itself and thus the whole pickup rises.

why is this happening? is the threading busted or something? how can i fix it?

mike jungle

eh?
loc-tite? where have i heard that before?

oh...haha...nevermind...

but you mean screw it down? that would screw up the pickup height, and i sorta like it where it's at.

Aragorn35016

mike jungle said:
eh?
loc-tite? where have i heard that before?

oh...haha...nevermind...

but you mean screw it down? that would screw up the pickup height, and i sorta like it where it's at.

Im not sure what your meaning but loc-tite is a product that you can put on the threads of screws that makes them stay in a fixed location. They make various strengths of this product. loctite 242 should be what you get and you can get it at any hardware store. Loctite 242 is strong enough to where you can still adjust the screw height any where you want but still keep the screw from loosening. Some of the stronger loctite products harden like cement so make sure you get the 242. It should come in a reddish-purple bottle.

Hope this helps

John.

prickly_pete

I think the blue loctite is the "servicable" stuff, the red requires heat to break loose.

Aragorn35016

No we use 242 at work on some of our government projects. It doesnt require any heat whatsoever to break loose. I know this because Ive had to take apart and rebuild more prototype systems for the gment than any person ever should. :D However the blue is a little weaker and would work too. Im just partial to the 242 formula. Whatever you do just stay away from loctite black max :eek: it will take a chisel to break that stuff loose :D

spectorbassguy

The neck (SC) pup on my Bongo 5 kept lifting. I knew it was time to screw it down when my right hand started making the low B touch the pole piece creating an awful ruckus. I've had no prob w/ any of my Rays doing this.

mike jungle

so um...do i just lube the screw with this stuff and screw it back in? i'm sure it'll probably come with instructions...but i just want to know.

and i can probably find it a home depot or something?

Aragorn35016

mike jungle said:
so um...do i just lube the screw with this stuff and screw it back in? i'm sure it'll probably come with instructions...but i just want to know.

and i can probably find it a home depot or something?

Yep just put a light film on the threads and screw it in!! Home depot should have it or any local hardware store.

mike jungle

so i'm assuming it's sort of like...a gelly/putty sort of thing?

it won't ruin the threads any further, right?

JB1

Did you even follow the links?

It appears to be a liquid and seeing as it's listed as a 'thread protector', I doubt it will damage them any more.....do you?

mike jungle

my bad... :(
dude, i did follow the links, i was just...
i thought it was a sort of gelly thing that hardens once you screw the screw in.
and i thought that might have an adverse effect on the threads when you try to adjust the screw.

JB1

Go getcha self some and see what happens. A good few members here have used it to good effect.

Good luck

Ben Clarke

This happens to me too. Seems like someone could suggest some Loctite 'round the factory and get a gold star for the day...

Top Bottom