• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

JayAmel

Hi folks,

I have a weird problem with my SUB 5.

Went gigging (as often) with my it yesterday night, and while we were doing the soundcheck I noticed that my G-string would slip off the nut when played open string with a bit of attack (not that much though).

I tried to figure out what was happening and tried to adjust the action in both ways, nothing changed.

Please has anyone experienced this (and could tell me what to do) ?

Many thanks,
Jay

JayAmel

BTW, here are a couple of pics.

First pic shows where the G-string "jumps".
Second pic shows the bridge (in case this would help).

Thanks again,
Jay

Last edited:

JB1

Post a pic of the headstock with the windings on the G string buddy.

J

bovinehost

Administrator
Hmmm, I really can't see what's going on there, but is the string winding DOWN along the post? That would be my first question.

JayAmel

bovinehost said:
Hmmm, I really can't see what's going on there, but is the string winding DOWN along the post? That would be my first question.

Yes it is. I always put the string down the post before doing the windings.

bovinehost

Administrator
Only a couple of things I can think of:

1. Re-install the string on the post, making sure to get as much downward pressure on it as you can. Reading what you just posted, I doubt this is the issue, but small things can sometimes make the difference.

2. Check the nut slot depth. If it's too shallow, have it cut deeper. If you're not an expert with files and nuts, get a pro to do it. I have a lot of experience doing setups on my own basses, but I do no nut work. Too finicky for me.

That's really about it. I mean, those are the only two reasons a string will pop out like that (at least the only ones I can come up with). If it ain't one, I bet it's the other.

good luck!

Jack

JayAmel

Thanks Jack.

I had already thought of "digging" a bit in the nut slot, but first wanted to figure out a more "logical" reason (never experienced this problem until yesterday and my previous strings were a heavier gauge).

I'll restring the G and make sure it goes as down as possible in the post.
I'll keep you informed.

Many thanks again,
Jay

Psychicpet

JayAmel said:
Here it is.
Many thanks again !
Jay
, ya, it'll be interesting to see what happens, in this photo it looks as thought the string is low on the post but along side of the last winding around the post. I do hope it's an easy resolve and man, you are nolonger Jay but Thunder Thumbs if you're rippin' that G off the nut :cool:

jongitarz

Leave the string a little longer when you change it. More wraps= more down force on the nut.

AnthonyD

It looks to me from the pic that the string winding crosses over a previous post-wrap.

I measure out my strings 4½" beyond the post. It'll provide three clean wraps - be sure each wrap sits below the preceding wrap. I often settle the string in and then back it off and push the wrapped string down the post with one hand while tightening up with the other hand the final time.

A little extra work, but worth the effort. :)

(EDIT: Corrected my string length beyond the post)

Last edited:

JayAmel

Hi,

Just restringed the G and same problem.
Yes, I have enough extra length and the warps have been properly winded.
Really don't understand what is happening.

Any advice still welcome... many thanks again !
Jay

JayAmel

Hi again folks,

Problem fixed. Just restringed again and carefully winded each new wrap PERFECTLY below the previous one. For some reason, looks like the bass is a bit "sensitive" to that... Anyway now the bass is fine again.

MANY THANKS TO ALL !

Jay

JayAmel

Yep, I must acknowledge I was somewhat worried by this issue, and I was afraid that could be something more serious.
Fortunately that was not, and thanks all of you here the problem was easily fixed.
Now I can play Thunder Thumbs as much as I want and the G-string does not jump any more... :)

JB1

Happy days Jay.

Glad you (and we!) got it sorted out.

Top Bottom