• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

TSanders

This question pops up pretty often, so I figured since Ive owned each of the three pickup configs, Id give a brief summary. Been meaning to do this for a while, but I just havent had time.

I hope this will be a thread that helps those trying to pick which Bongo pickup config will be best for them, and I hope it will be found when they do a search.:D

Just for reference, I have used each of the three configs live and in the studio through about 100 different amp/cab configs, with consistent results. Also note that all the Bongos were fretted and did not have the piezo option.

Here goes:

My first Bongo was a Dual H 4 string. Snagged it off eBay before there were many used Bongos on the market. My initial impressions were, wow, this is different. I actually dug the looks early on, so the different Im speaking of is more in terms of tone. I expected it to sound more "StingRay-ish", but was pleased with the different tones it offered. The best way to summarize the Dual H is HUGE. Cities have been destroyed wth an arsenal of only a Dual H Bongo. The Dual humbuckers pickups and 18 volt pre are a very powerful combo. Set flat the Dual H yeilds a throaty tone thats thick in the mids. The low end is very full with the pickup blend centered. The mids are full, and the high end is clear and clean, without being harsh. The 2 band mids are a great feature, and really add to the versatility of the Dual H. As expected panning the pickup blend towards the bridge increased the "burp" of fingerstyle lines. Rolling to only the neck pickup gave me a P Bass like tone, but better, with more low mids. The Dual H never left me looking for more from the pre. That 18 volt pre with those pickups, could be the ultimate in electric bass versatlity.

My second Bongo was a Single H 5 string and my current Bongo is a Single H 4 string. Surprisingly to me, the Single H is my favorite config. Bought it new from Bass Central. It has had a neat life sharing the greatness that is the Single H Bongo. Sold it to Brad Dell (in a moment of temp. insanity), then it went to Jack (Lord Bongo), and now its with Ken (Heavy Duty) where I believe it will stay for a good long while. I miss that Single H more than any other bass Ive parted with. The Single H has a 3 band eq (unless it has piezo, then it has the 4 band). The 3 band on the Single H was great. I was curious to see if I would miss the 4 band on it, and I didnt. The point and shoot simplicity of the Single H Bongo made it a great "Rock" bass. The mids on the Single H were killer, and not quite as scooped as one may expect. As with the Dual H, the highs were very present, and cut in the mix well. The low B on that bass was awesome. Clean and clear all the way down. The Single H to my ears had a tone that barked like a P Bass, but growled more. It had very smooth lows that didnt get muddy. Much more clean unforced low end than one might expect from a Single pickup bass.

My third Bongo was a H/SC 4 string. Strung with rounds it was similar to the Dual H, but a bit more refined, with a smoother tone. Strung with flats this bass flat out killed (no pun intended). Ran a close second to my Single H Bongo. With flats the H/SC still had a very defined tone. Like both above, good lows, and highs, with a slighlty different midrange, that to my ears was a bit less agressive than the Dual H. The midrange on the H/SC was a little smoother and more refined than the HH. I actually preferred the H/SC over the HH in both live and studio environments. When rolling to the front pickup only, I noticed little to no hum. Overall, I prefered the H/SC over the Dual H, for its smoother more refined nature.

All in all, the Bongos are great basses, and I really dont think you can go wrong with any pickup config. Each has its own slightly different nuances, that make each config a powerhouse of its own. The pre, IMO is the key to the Bongos tone. Unlike its cousin the StingRay, who has a trademark tone, the Bongo almost acts as a neutral canvas, for you the artist to create whatever youd like. So while I cant tell you which Bongo you should play, I hope that this will make it easier to pick which Bongo will work best for you.

Just for kicks, here are the Bongos as reviewed.

DSC01110.jpg

DSC01145.jpg

newsr5andbongopics003.jpg

singlehbong002.jpg

Last edited:

maddog

Nice write-up travis. Nice basses as well. Very informative, insightful and helpful. Possibly a sticky?

I am taking on a new years resolution this year (my first one ever). The resolution to get my hands on a single H bongo asap. :D

Bill

Excellent information! I have a strong feeling that a dual H 5-string Bongo will make an appearance at my house sometime within the next year or so.

adouglas

On the tail end of the bell curve in Connecticut
Great to hear directly from those with real experience. You left out the piezo, though.... I have a dual H w/piezo, and the P definitely adds a little something. More edge and bite, if that's possible. The Bass Player review of the Bongo actually said it pretty well...it's like extra seasoning. Just a tad of Tabasco. Starting to think about an Hp fretless...we'll see what Santa says.

shamus63

HS B4 is my next bass purchase. Now, I'm starting to lean towards Blue Pearl (w/White Ice)...very classy finish!

The Stealth Black B4 HSC has been very good to me...a keeper!

Last edited:

TSanders

Im excited to see those who are planning on a Single H.

Before all is said and done, I will have another one of those in my stable. I really do miss that bass more than any other Ive "offed".

azzy_wazzy

I think making it a sticky would be good too - I know I asked this exact question a few weeks back, and I'm bound to not be the only one.

Great post! Thanks :)

roballanson

azzy_wazzy said:
I think making it a sticky would be good too - I know I asked this exact question a few weeks back, and I'm bound to not be the only one.

Great post! Thanks :)

Hey azzy did you ever give my mate a buzz about the Sub sterling?

Oh and my band are playing in Norwich on Dec 29 at the Blueberry if you wanna drop over for a laugh.....:D

TSanders

Something I forgot to add about the H/SC is that I couldnt hear any "hum" when using the Single Coil soloed.

mike jewels

ebmuscmanlvr83 said:
Rolling to only the neck pickup gave me a P Bass like tone, but better, with more low mids.

How much like a P-bass?

Kind of like a P-bass, or very like a P-bass?

I've played a few Bongos, and know they can pretty much nail the Stingray tone with the bridge pup, but I never had enough time to really play with the neck pup and tone controls to get a P-bass tone.

The reason I ask, is that there's a desert gold Bongo 5 in the Guitar Center on 14th St., here in Manhattan. It's been there about a year and a half, and the price is down.

It's calling me the same way Dracula calls those he has bitten on the neck! :D

I don't want to touch it, because if I touch it, I know it'll go home with me.

When I asked a salesman why it's only $xxx.00, he replied, "That red tag tells me that the manufacturer may soon discontinue that item." :rolleyes:

If no one takes it home for Christmas, I may have to take action!

Good reviews, thanks for posting them.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

tkarter

I am going to go single H when I get a bongo. Going to be a 5 stringer too. Then I may be tempted at a later date to get yet another configuration but I doubt it.

The bongo will be hard pressed to tear me away from my SR5. I do have me some love for them.

tk

MingusBASS

tkarter said:
The bongo will be hard pressed to tear me away from my SR5. I do have me some love for them.

tk

TK-

You keep repeating this everytime you talk about the bongo. Maybe you are just trying to convince yourself otherwise because you've never had a chance to play one yet. ;) :D :cool:

Andrew

tkarter

That is true. I haven't found a Bongo 5 of any configuration to play here bouts. I will before I buy one most likely. I may go for it when I can just flat afford to take the chance.

Still it is hard not to jump on the SR5's that come up here since I am playing one and know just what I would be getting.

I am consistent in my thoughts aren't I?

Could be because I am left handed and although I play right handed I still may have some of that psycho type left handedness left in me some where deep down. :eek: :eek:

tk

bovinehost

Administrator
Hey Jack. Youve owned all three configs, I miss anything?

Nah, you done good.

My absolute fave has to be the black sapphire Bongo 5er. One of the first off the line, bought it without ever having touched a Bongo, and it's been my go-to for two years now. As slutty as I am, that is saying something. Even Bongo Naysayers who have played it have said things like, "If you sell that one, would you call me?"

It's not going anywhere, though. I was talking to Sterling one night and he asked me if I really had any basses that were non-negotiable. (The man knows me.) There are two - that dual H Bongo 5 and Heinz.

The HH Bongos are easy to love. Ask Steve Barr!

But each config does different things, to be sure. I was foolish for letting that DG single H go, but I'm happy it went to Ken and, even more importantly, that I now have another one. I have decided that I will always have a single H Bongo. These make a noise that the others don't, and I haven't quite decided how to describe it, but yeah - point and shoot is what it is. I think the single H is more Stingray-ish but more complex. The single H Bongo does something in the midrange that the Stingray doesn't do.....

Jeez, I sound like a wine fag.

I was so won over, initially, by the dual hummers that I probably didn't give the HSC an even shot. I still have some exploring to do with my newest HSC fiver, but I am now able to be a bit more objective, I think. Initial thoughts? The re-designed (hiya Dudley) single coil is deadly. I was sitting in here with the band the other night and rolling the pickup blend back and forth to illustrate the diff and they were suitably impressed.

I know that you guys have me figured out. I'm a complete and unapologetic Bongo convert, but I just can't imagine how a fan of EBMM basses could fail to be impressed.

JW

Bill

bovinehost said:
I was talking to Sterling one night and he asked me if I really had any basses that were non-negotiable. (The man knows me.) There are two - that dual H Bongo 5 and Heinz.
So the green flame Bongo might be up for grabs one day? :D

Good to see you back, Jack!

Top Bottom