• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

darren

JP7 on its way... (it's now here!)

So i recently played a Petrucci 7 (pearl red burst, piezos, standard dots) and was blown away.

I had played a Petrucci 6 before (unplugged) and was very impressed with its feel, its resonance and its ergonomics. The 7 impressed me just as much, maybe even more.

Long & McQuade here in Toronto recently received a HUGE shipment of EBMM guitars and basses, so there were all kinds of fresh goodies out on the floor. I noodled around unplugged for a bit on a Mystic Dream non-piezo, non-inlay JP6 they had. (Trippy finish, absolutely SICK birdseye neck.)

I left the store, and just as i walked past their storefront window, a little flash of red caught my eye. I doubled back and saw a minty-fresh Pearl Redburst EBMM JP7 with piezo and no JP inlay in the window.

:eek:

I went back into the store and asked to play it. I just plugged into a little Line 6 Spider II combo to take it for a quick spin. (I wanted to try it with something i knew i could dial in a decent tone on in seconds... i didn't want to wrestle with getting a good tone out of a complex amp, in case my frustration with the amp might cloud my judgement.)

The finish was gorgeous. Unlike the OLP "pearl redburst" which seems to be more of a black burst around the red, this one goes from red to a very dusty reddish purple. Smooth and flawless, except inside the trem recess, which was a bit knobbly.

The guitar was so fresh that the strings were still stretching in. I had to re-tune a few times to get them to settle down. I mean, they were GLEAMING fresh strings.

The fretwork on these guitars is nothing short of spectacular. They're easily the slickest-feeling frets after Parker's stainless steel ones. Beautifully finished at the edges.

The ergonomics are fantastic. You guys really did your homework on this guitar. Everything falls comfortably to hand, the contours hug the body, and the armrest takes any kind of pressure off the tendons in the wrist and forearm. My hand falls naturally to a perfect playing position, and all the controls are not as far a reach as i thought they would be. The bridge is very flat and comfy, and the tuners felt very smooth, tight and accurate.

The neck was the biggest surprise. Normally, i like slightly more beefy necks. I've tried several Ibanez RG 7s over the years and always found their necks to be too thin and "flat" in the middle. Being primarily a rhythm player, i found they caused too much hand fatigue when playing them for even a short while. The JP7 neck is significantly thinner than i'm accustomed to, yet i found it to be extraordinarily comfortable, and had not even a hint of fatigue after about 20 minutes of banging away on it. The oil and wax finish is just awesome. Silky-smooth and drag free.

The pickups got some really great tones... very versatile. I was really amazed at how "stratty" the middle position was. Very spanky. It was hard to judge the piezo effectively through a guitar amp, but dialing in a clean setting with a touch of delay and reverb got some very nice acoustic tones. The brand-new strings were maybe a touch too bright to make it totally convincing, but i'm sure a more effective EQ and some acoustic modelling would bring it to life. I have a Yamaha AG-Stomp in my rig specifically for this purpose (my Parker sounded awesome through it) so i can't wait to plug in the JP7.

So now i know what you EBMM JP7 owners are raving about. No argument from me. It's a spectacular guitar.

At any rate, i didn't buy the one in the store, but a buddy of mine over at sevenstring.org recently had to sell his Lava Pearl JP7, and i was fortunate enough to buy it. It's on its way here right now. I cannot wait. It's got the features and playability i loved with my Parker, but since they seem pretty adamant that they won't make a seven-string Fly, the JP7 is the best available production 7 with a piezo, in my opinion.

I'm ecstatic about this guitar.

One of the first things i plan to do is install a Tremol-No. I've already got one on order with AllParts, so i'm just waiting for it to ship. Have any of you guys tested pre-release units, and if so, is there anything special i need to consider with the JP7's trem as far as the installation goes?

Cheers,

darren.

Last edited:

adambilz

darren said:
One of the first things i plan to do is install a Tremol-No. I've already got one on order with AllParts, so i'm just waiting for it to ship. Have any of you guys tested pre-release units, and if so, is there anything special i need to consider with the JP7's trem as far as the installation goes?

Cheers,

darren.

Congrats on the find! Not to be a buzzkill, though, but the floating bridge on the JP isn't a locking nut or anything, the locks are behind the tuning pegs and drop tuning is as easy as turning the tuning peg. Do you just want to make it a fixed bridge? (Maybe I've just got the tremol-no all wrong) Anyway, great find once again!

beej

Hey Darren-

Is that the L&M on Bloor? What other EBMMs did they get in?

Thinking about a lunch break visit ;)

darren

adambilz said:
Congrats on the find! Not to be a buzzkill, though, but the floating bridge on the JP isn't a locking nut or anything, the locks are behind the tuning pegs and drop tuning is as easy as turning the tuning peg. Do you just want to make it a fixed bridge? (Maybe I've just got the tremol-no all wrong) Anyway, great find once again!
I think you may have the Tremol-No confused with something else... maybe the D-Tuna? The Tremol-No is a trem stabilizer that allows you to lock a floating trem in fixed or dive-only mode. I tend to prefer fixed bridges, but would like to use the JP7's trem occasionally. I just don't know if the EBMM trem block or spring cavity/claw are different from those in other guitars.

Last edited:

darren

beej said:
Is that the L&M on Bloor? What other EBMMs did they get in?
Yep. They had a few Axis models, one in this amazing metalflake amber burst, and loads of basses. It was a couple of weeks ago, and i didn't make a list. ;)

adambilz

darren said:
I think you may have the Tremol-No confused with something else... maybe the D-Tuna? The Tremol-No is a trem stabilizer that allows you to lock a floating trem in fixed or dive-only mode. I tend to prefer fixed bridges, but would like to use the JP7's trem occasionally. I just don't know if the EBMM trem block or spring cavity/claw are different from those in other guitars.

Cool, works for me. You've got a wonderful axe my good man!

darren

I got in contact with Kevan Geier (inventor of the Tremol-No) and asked if the Tremol-No can be installed on the Petrucci 7's trem.

I didn't know that the bottom of the EB/MM block is angled in such a way that the Tremol-No can't grip it. He has designed an adapter plate that allows the Tremol-No to grab the block securely. It will be machined from a solid chunk of aluminum, and should be available next week.

I'll report back once i get mine!

darren

darren said:
Yep. They had a few Axis models, one in this amazing metalflake amber burst, and loads of basses. It was a couple of weeks ago, and i didn't make a list. ;)
After looking at the open house photo gallery, i remembered another model they had at L&M on Bloor... it was a SWEET-looking rosewood Axis!

darren

Well, it arrived this morning, and i'm elated. What a sweet guitar. Lava Pearl is just a stunning finish. I'll post pics when i get a chance.

One question: I may replace the stock knobs on this puppy with regular knurled chrome dome knobs... are the stock knobs of the push-on variety, or is there a set screw under the rubber ring?

Raz

darren said:
So i recently played a Petrucci 7 (pearl red burst, piezos, standard dots) and was blown away.

I had played a Petrucci 6 before (unplugged) and was very impressed with its feel, its resonance and its ergonomics. The 7 impressed me just as much, maybe even more.

Long & McQuade here in Toronto recently received a HUGE shipment of EBMM guitars and basses, so there were all kinds of fresh goodies out on the floor. I noodled around unplugged for a bit on a Mystic Dream non-piezo, non-inlay JP6 they had. (Trippy finish, absolutely SICK birdseye neck.)

I left the store, and just as i walked past their storefront window, a little flash of red caught my eye. I doubled back and saw a minty-fresh Pearl Redburst EBMM JP7 with piezo and no JP inlay in the window.

:eek:

I went back into the store and asked to play it. I just plugged into a little Line 6 Spider II combo to take it for a quick spin. (I wanted to try it with something i knew i could dial in a decent tone on in seconds... i didn't want to wrestle with getting a good tone out of a complex amp, in case my frustration with the amp might cloud my judgement.)

The finish was gorgeous. Unlike the OLP "pearl redburst" which seems to be more of a black burst around the red, this one goes from red to a very dusty reddish purple. Smooth and flawless, except inside the trem recess, which was a bit knobbly.

The guitar was so fresh that the strings were still stretching in. I had to re-tune a few times to get them to settle down. I mean, they were GLEAMING fresh strings.

The fretwork on these guitars is nothing short of spectacular. They're easily the slickest-feeling frets after Parker's stainless steel ones. Beautifully finished at the edges.

The ergonomics are fantastic. You guys really did your homework on this guitar. Everything falls comfortably to hand, the contours hug the body, and the armrest takes any kind of pressure off the tendons in the wrist and forearm. My hand falls naturally to a perfect playing position, and all the controls are not as far a reach as i thought they would be. The bridge is very flat and comfy, and the tuners felt very smooth, tight and accurate.

The neck was the biggest surprise. Normally, i like slightly more beefy necks. I've tried several Ibanez RG 7s over the years and always found their necks to be too thin and "flat" in the middle. Being primarily a rhythm player, i found they caused too much hand fatigue when playing them for even a short while. The JP7 neck is significantly thinner than i'm accustomed to, yet i found it to be extraordinarily comfortable, and had not even a hint of fatigue after about 20 minutes of banging away on it. The oil and wax finish is just awesome. Silky-smooth and drag free.

The pickups got some really great tones... very versatile. I was really amazed at how "stratty" the middle position was. Very spanky. It was hard to judge the piezo effectively through a guitar amp, but dialing in a clean setting with a touch of delay and reverb got some very nice acoustic tones. The brand-new strings were maybe a touch too bright to make it totally convincing, but i'm sure a more effective EQ and some acoustic modelling would bring it to life. I have a Yamaha AG-Stomp in my rig specifically for this purpose (my Parker sounded awesome through it) so i can't wait to plug in the JP7.

So now i know what you EBMM JP7 owners are raving about. No argument from me. It's a spectacular guitar.

At any rate, i didn't buy the one in the store, but a buddy of mine over at sevenstring.org recently had to sell his Lava Pearl JP7, and i was fortunate enough to buy it. It's on its way here right now. I cannot wait. It's got the features and playability i loved with my Parker, but since they seem pretty adamant that they won't make a seven-string Fly, the JP7 is the best available production 7 with a piezo, in my opinion.

I'm ecstatic about this guitar.

Cheers,

darren.
I hate you, you and Zimbloth for buying up both of Donnie's guitars, my wife on the other hand appreciates what you have done, but I don't!

darren

Well, if i'd been a bit quicker, i would have got his Egyptian Smoke one. But after i missed it, i told him that if he were ever selling the Lava Pearl one, i'd be first in line to buy it.

Tremol-No is on its way, along with an EB/MM adapter plate.

I need to find some knurled chrome knobs that fit the 1/4" shafts of the JP7's pots... the ones i bought yesterday are a touch too small and don't fit.

Last edited:

Plaschkes

darren said:
I need to find some knurled chrome knobs that fit the 1/4" shafts of the JP7's pots... the ones i bought yesterday are a touch too small and don't fit.

Yeah, i read you're post on ss.org, why don't you just drill the holes in the ones you allready have a bit wider?

darren

I thought about that, but to do it properly, i'd need a drill press and would have to make a jig to hold the knobs in the right place and alignment while drilling out the hole.

The time required to drill out three solid brass knobs would probably be more than it would take for me to hit a couple of stores to find knobs that fit. :)

darren

So when i took the knobs back, the tech looked at them and said, "I can just drill these out a bit." So he locked each knob in his vise grips (with a bit of rubber to prevent them from marring the finish) and clamped that to his workbench, then he just bored out the holes a bit with a 1/4" metal bit. Worked like a charm.

I took them home and installed them, and to me, the guitar looks WAY better with chrome knobs than with black ones. I'll try and post some pics later... i've just been too busy lately to get the camera out for some daylight pics of the guitar.

I took the JP7 to rehearsal last night for the first time, and was able to play it through my full rig with the piezos going to the PA.

MY GOD.

Does this guitar ever sound good! Rhythm sounds have a nice "thump" to them... nice and tight and percussive, but also open and clean sounding. And the bridge pickup cuts through very nicely, without sounding harsh. In the middle position, it's amazingly "Stratty", just like the other JP7 i tried.

The piezo sounds just incredible. Running it through my Yamaha AG Stomp allows me to apply mic modeling to the piezo sound, making it sound incredibly realistic. Through headphones, the Condenser mic model sounded best, but through our rehearsal PA, the Dynamic mic model sounded the most realistic. Add a touch of reverb and a hint of delay, and it was just incredible.

But the real magic was in blending the two. Using a BOSS FV-300L stereo volume/expression pedal, i'm able to simultaneously control the volume of both the AG-Stomp and my BOSS GT-6, which is my main tone generator. I can adjust the settings so that in the middle of the expression pedal's travel, both units are at 100% volume, and at one end is full magnetic and the other is full piezo. This gives me all kinds of ways to blend the two sounds, and the result is just amazing. Adding an acoustic sound shadowing heavy riffs makes the sound even more heavy. And on some of the more ambient stuff, it creates a lush sound space.

So it's everything i had hoped for and more! I am totally blown away by this guitar.

But there's something more: The guitar's ergonomics and playability are inspiring in another way... the guitar makes me want to be a better player. I've never been a very technical player, but already i can feel myself playing quicker and cleaner... the guitar practically begs me to challenge myself, and it rewards me by making it easy to do so. I've never experienced that in a guitar before.

So huge thanks to JP and the folks at EB/MM for designing and building an extraordinary musical instrument.

NorM

Things about the JP7 (and the JP6)

The first time I plugged in the piezo in to an acoustic amp at a guitar store, one of the salesmen ran back to the acoustic room and shouted, "Hey! Who's shredding on the Martin!?"

Before Dream Theater took the stage you could hear an acoustic guitar being played. I said to my friend, "That's Petrucci's EBMM making that sound." "No Way!" was his response.
"Way!"

When I played the JP7 I wasn't lost or overwhelmed at all. Seven Strings just seemed cool.

darren

So this evening, i installed a Tremol-No in my JP7.

I've documented my installation, not in a huge amount of detail, but it's here.

I ran into a couple of minor snags along the way, like the threaded hole required for installing the EBMM adapter plate being occupied by a tiny little set screw with apparently no purpose, and replacing the standard plastic alignment pins with the included steel ones took quite a bit of very careful hammering to get them seated right. I only replaced them because with the thicker block, the plastic ones didn't seem sturdy enough to me.

Getting it evenly balanced to minimize friction is a little tricky, but do-able. It just takes patience and a very light hand with the screwdriver. When Kevan means small increments, he means small increments. 1/32 of a turn of the screw. Tiny amounts. A bit of teflon lubrication on the shaft should quiet any remaining friction noise after you've eliminated any binding.

Overall, it seems like a very well-built and sturdy unit. Installation (and documenting it, plus getting help with a few minor things from Kevan as i went) took longer than i expected, though i think my situation was a little atypical because i'm also testing out the EBMM adapter, so i'll do a review of it at a later date when i can give it a thorough play.

But my initial impression: Works as advertised!

darren

So my band was doing some recording on the weekend, and i was laying down tracks for a couple of songs with my JP7. The tones i was getting from both the magnetics and the piezos were incredible. This guitar rocks!

We had the cabinet close-mic'd, then had a large diaphragm mic capturing the room, and just for added depth, clarity and texture, simultaneously recorded a piezo track coming out of my Yamaha AG-stomp (for mic modeling). What an incredible sound to blend all three signals.

Everyone was blown away at the sonic quality of the guitar, especially the piezos, which sounded spectacular.

Our singer was doing an arpeggiated acoustic outro using the JP7, and when he hit the last chord, it just kept ringing, and ringing, and ringing. We eventually faded it out at the board and stopped the recording. Jaws hit the floor when we brought the fader back up and the chord was still sustaining.

I don't even think my hardtail guitars sustain like that. And this was a full-floating JP7 with the trem locked down firmly with the Tremol-No. Absolutely incredible tone and sustain.

I'll try and get an A/B recording next weekend demonstrating the sustain with the Tremol-No locked vs. unlocked, but overall, it was most impressive, and i'm sure the Tremol-No contributed in a significant way to the incredible tone and sustain.

I just keep loving this guitar more and more!

Last edited:
Top Bottom