• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Raz

I cannot seem to find this product here in Canada, well Ottawa anyway, is there something similar I can use...I really want to treat my fretboard and do a string change. I noticed a product called Old English. Now the fretboard is clean, so the faq's instruction using Murphy's wouldn't apply to me...I know that I need to find a product that contains NO SILICON...thaknks!

OrangeChannel

Google Lemon Oil and see if you could order some. There's also some fingerboard oil (can't remember the name...) that Suhr recommended.....I should look it up...Roche Thomas...thats it.

I really wouldn't use Murphys on rosewood....only maple.

Jimi D

I use Old English, but I don't have to use much or often (I've had the same bottle for five years, at least!). Anyway, it works great, applied sparingly twice a year to rosewood fretboards (part of the winter/summer cycle)...

Raz

OK so Old English is good, I just bought some Liquid Gold, as it contains no Wax nor Silicone...but I haven't used it yet...I also need to track down some Slinky's...I found a store that sells 9's to 46's...but I have no idea what the standard is since the D'addario's are 9 to 42's...thanks guys!

OrangeChannel

Thats an example of a light top heavy bottom set. I used to use those before I graduated to tens years ago. Then I went to the 10-52 set before going up to 11's.

Raz

Well I thought that a setup is required when changing strings and now I am fearful of changing them...

Raz

Well on that note (ouch), I just might go to 10's then, I think I am too heavy handed for 9's...so OC, can you recommend something, I know I have asked before and I do appreciate your recommendations, please don't think otherwise...in fact I played with my pickup adjustments and I just got some killer tone on the stock PUPS, so for now, new PUPS are not req'd...anyway back on topic!

Raz

OrangeChannel said:
Ernie Ball Slinkies or maybe even the RPS 10's ;)

:D

OK now can you give me the range on these 10's (and I'm not too sure what RPS 10's are)...also is there a huge difference from going up to the 10's...thanks OC, your wisdom is very appreciated!

OrangeChannel

Not too much different really. RPS = reinforced plain strings. You might try those if you're a banger....

10-46

no go! get some strings! :D

lock-ny

I actually like the D'addario strings Raz, they are nice and bright and since I play tuned down half a step and sometimes drop D a step and a half I like that bit of brightness, they are tuff ass strings as well, go buy a few sets of different strings and try them out-

Raz

Thanks guys you're always there when I need you, now only if there was a section for marital help, raising children and financial success!

dwf1004

...now only if there was a section for marital help, raising children and financial success!

...dump 'em, whoop 'em, and keep your a** out of the guitar shops and magazines.

Thank you. You can pay my secretary on the way out. :p

Raz

dwf1004 said:
...dump 'em, whoop 'em, and keep your a** out of the guitar shops and magazines.

Thank you. You can pay my secretary on the way out. :p

Ha, you should market that advice
;)

kbaim

You'll probably need to adjust your intonation after changing to a different gauge string.

Done thusly;
Harmonic at 12th fret. Then fret the note at 12th fret. If they're not the same, remember this...

If the FRETTED note is FLAT, move the saddle FORWARD.

Raz

OK I changed to Slinky 10's and I also lubed the frets up nicely with my Liquid Gold...whooowhee, my forearn is killing me...but seriously, man what difference...I did however have to adjust the truss rod a touch and I noticed that the three higher strings might need a dash of intonation, but after a crash course with Kbaim, I should be able to handle this without a hitch,...if not I could always go over to Jimi D's house...unfortunately OC lives in another friggin country...thanks to everyone for the help!

Jimi D

Raz said:
I noticed that the three higher strings might need a dash of intonation, but after a crash course with Kbaim, I should be able to handle this without a hitch,...if not I could always go over to Jimi D's house...
That's the truth, bro' - you're welcome any time... and I've got a Peterson strobe tuner that's about 30 times more accurate than your average needle tuner (at least according to Peterson), which really helps get your intonation on the money!

Raz

Thanks, and you know why I haven't been over their yet don't you...its like letting me loose in the Playboy Mansion...trouble!

Top Bottom