• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bovinehost

Administrator
"I've just today found that my "signature model" bass is out!

I may have mentioned long ago that an instrument company called OLP has been working with Ernie Ball/Music Man and with me, on making a licensed low cost version of the 5 string bass I play, and calling it a Tony Levin signature model. It was to have been ready for last January's NAMM show, but the protype then just wasn't up to par, so the release was delayed. A few weeks ago I got the 3rd prototype to check out and I was very happy with it - it's quite a cool bass. Well, I hadn't heard anything about it's release, but today I see, from letters in the guestbook section of the website, that the bass is indeed released. So I guess it's time for me to say a word or two about the bass, for bassists who may be curious about it.

The bass I play more often than any of my others is my peach colored Music Man Stingray 5 string. I got it in about 1989, when they made their first 5 strings. The color, which I've found pretty useful because it changes a lot when red stage lights go on, was discontinued about a year later, after somebody mentioned that it looked like Barbie flesh! Indeed it does, and once you had that in your head... well, they stopped making that color.

So, to start with, the new OLP is being made in just two color schemes - natural wood finish, or Don't-Call-It-Barbie-Peach. The Peach shade is a bit darker than the original was (or has my old one faded through the years?) and, in fact, doesn't look too Barbie-ish, but I will continue to think of it as that.

The other look is one I've favored on some of my Music Man basses - an antique natural finish with a quilt top and tortoise shell pick guard - it's actually the more vintage looking of the two.
The electronics of the OLP are similar to the Stingray, in that there are 3 tone controls, and active output on the one humbucking pickup. I prevailed on them to use the alnico pickups that my original has (the material of the pickups was later changed, and the newer Stingray 5 strings sound just as great, but different in a subtle way. I wanted this to have the sound of the original.)
The neck is rock maple with rosewood fingerboard, and the hardware is chrome.

But the biggest difference in this bass is it's price. Being made in China, coming without a case, it's a really low cost bass. (I'm guessing it lists at around $500, with the street price around $350.) So, of course it is not the instrument that an Ernie Ball / Music Man Stingray 5 is - but for the price I think it's an amazingly good bass, tonally versatile, cool sounding and... well, I like the idea of a Tony Levin signature model bass being reasonably priced!"

Urwordsbreakmed

haha thats awesome... My god mother (who owns a recording studio) has been asking me about good low cost basses... and all i could think of was OLP cause they worked with EB.... But Now I'll tell her about the Tony Levin signature model and all the great things ive heard lol... one bass sold many more to goo

Samingo

Power to ya, Jack!:D

I've proudly played several OLP's and they are amazing instruments. I miss so much the natural/tort SR5 version I had. Amazing basses and I stand by them.

my .02

HeavyDuty

I picked up an OLP MM-3 last summer - it's actually pretty decent! It served admirably as a low cost "mule" for me to try the concept of playing a fiver, and has led to my picking up a SR5 and a Bongo 5.

I think they're better than most comparably priced basses.

word

so, what is the deal with the 2 different bridges???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7339344258&category=4713

1121122210999_IM008537.JPG

158393.jpg

bassmonkeee

word said:
so, what is the deal with the 2 different bridges???

Well, the big picture screwing up the dimensions of the thread appears to be a prototype. IMNSHO, the bridge in the actual product in the auction looks much, much better.

JayAmel

Though inspired from TL's SR5, I don't like that orange finish at all. But maybe seeing it on a screen (PC, TV, etc.) does not do it justice.
Anyway, the visual rules in my cover band would not allow me to have such a "flashing" bass.
Cheers
Jay

Derek

I checked out the OLP Tony Levin bass at Indy Namm. It is a really good value for the money! the retail was $499. It feels rock solid, and for $300 street it should be a great backup bass. I know they released a few to dealers but the big production
run is still forthcoming.

If your not a fan of the Salmon Pink the Natural will be your ticket. I think OLP said the natural was the more popular color among the dealers who ordered.

Derek

Last edited:

TL said that he likes that color because of the brilliance it gives under red lights. according to his quote on the guestbook page at his website.

agplate

I've had my TL OLP for two months now and here's some info:

First, a portion of my initial review from June 8:

"The first real feeling is of great weight. This thing weighs a ton. Having looked at a regular OLP 5'er last week, I expected a flimsy knock off. The TL is a tank. I believe the body to be thicker than the standard OLP and more like the Stingray 5. The contours are not quite as sculpted as the SR5, and it may lack a little of the sculptural sex appeal, but the proportions are pretty much the same. The neck seems very wide to me (though this is my first 5 string), maybe a tad wider than the SR5. It is, however, very solid and appears to be well engineered and constructed. The tuners are stock OLP, with thin chrome, but seem OK. The neck bolts were not tightened all the way, but the neck was firm.

The set-up was pretty bad and the factory string were horrible. I tweaked the truss rod (very stiff) and action, and installed EB Slinkys right away. Be sure to have the dealer throw in real strings with the deal! Now it plays very, very well. The neck feels great and the fingerwork is a breeze.

Now, about the tone. The active EQ is treble, Mid, Bass. No switching. The tone on my TL bass is unfortunately very poor. With all knobs at the "middle" position, it is so overrun with midrange as to be unlistenable. It sounds like you're playing through an old radio (which I am not). Tinny and throaty and nearly distorted. Putting on the new strings helped the clarity and response. In order to get anywhere near a workable tone, I reduced the Mid control to zero, increased treble and Bass to full, and took out all Mids on my amplifier's EQ. Clearly, this is not a tone to go gigging with, but will suffice as I practice playing a 5'er at home. By the way, when not plugged in, it has a very loud, snappy sound, so I think with the electronics fixed up, it should have a good tonal personality".

---Since then, I had Jim Mouradian (builder of Chris Squire's green machine) install a Seymour Duncan MM style preamp. The original pickup is excellent (Jim agreed) so that stayed. A new nut was made and installed as the original looked like someone made it by hand out of melted plastic (it was really a joke). He installed new screws into the heel/neck plate and did a good setup.

It is now a real player, though not quite as refined as the real thing (as expected). The tone is now beautiful and virtually like a real Stingray. It's really a fine guitar, but in my case, cost an extra two bills over my purchase price.

One more comment on all of this: I received my TL nearly two months ago (special order), and as Tony commented that he received the latest version a few weeks ago, I suppose there is a chance that the final version may have updated and refined preamps and mine was still an early version (I hope). I can post a photo of my original preamp if anyone is interested.

Top Bottom